Tuesday, 26 July 2011

Life Would Not Be the Same… Without Chicken Wings

It was inevitable that I would have to mention chicken wings on this blog! No matter how it's prepared, cooked, where it’s from, or how it’s served, when it’s put on the table, I see nothing else.  I would take chicken wings to my bed if I could.
As a chicken wing connoisseur, I have had them every which way you can imagine. So, here is my ranking, in ascending order, of the top 5 best ways to enjoy the tasty treat:

#5 Japanese Curry Chicken Wings with Carrots, Onions, and Potatoes
-Moist and Tender meat
-Sweet with a thick creamy taste of curry power
-Carrots, onions, and potatoes that compliment the sauce, always served on a bed of white rice Recipe:http://japanesefood.about.com/od/curry/r/currychicken.htm
           

#4 Buffalo Wings
-Pungent spices to enjoy: Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Garlic Power, Black Pepper, and the most important ingredient, Hot Sauce
-Can be deep fried or baked
-Served with Celery and Ranch dressing


#3 Church’s Chicken

-Southern U.S.-style deep fried chicken wings
-Deep fried to perfection with crispy skin and seasoned with spices
-Goes well with mashed potatoes and a fizzy coke


#2 Drunken Chicken Wings 

-This dish is usually served cold
-I like the intricacy of this dish, using heat, ice and flavorful rice wine to get the chicken drunk
-A cooling appetizer before the meal




#1 Grandma’s Sweet Soy Sauce Chicken Wings with Rose Wine
I found this homemade recipe stored away in a tin can. Thanks Grandma, although we can no longer taste your cooking, the memories of it still lives on in our hearts.

Ingredients (4 serving)
•          8 Chicken Wings
•          4 Clove of Star Anise
•          2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
•          1 Small onion, peeled and chopped
•          Extra salt, and freshly ground black or white pepper, to taste


Marinade:
•                      1/3 cup soy sauce
•                      1/3 cup water
•                      3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
•                      4 tablespoons brown sugar
•                      3 1/2 tablespoons Chinese rose wine
•                      1 1/2 green onions, washed and finely chopped
•                      3 slices ginger
•                      2 crushed cloves garlic
Preparation:
•                      Place wings in a large mixing bowl, mix the marinade ingredients together.  Let sit overnight.
•                      In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chicken wings and cook for 5 to 6 minutes until browned, turning over once.
•                      Add onion, sauté until softened (about 5 minutes). At the same time brown the wings and cook the onions and star anise, bring the reserved marinade to boil in a small saucepan. Boil the marinade for 5 minutes.
•                      Add the marinade to the chicken.
•                      Season with salt and freshly ground black or white pepper
•                      Simmer, uncovered on low heat for 30 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through, adding water if needed.
•                      Serve

Post your comments to vote for your own favorite style of chicken wings! 




Bernice O. AKA "The Ultimate Eating Machine"

3 comments:

  1. I personally like chicken served "boneless," but if I had to choose I would go with the buffalo chicken wings. Have you tried the one they serve at BLT Burger in TST? It's so yummy and tasty! Love that your grandma's recipe is #1. That's so touching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boneless chicken is often dry chicken, MK Clark! For gweilos! I like my chicken BONED, and wings are awesome. It's too bad there aren't too many fried chicken options in Hong Kong. All your options are yummy, but I'd vote for #1. Go grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Church chicken sounds so good right now!

    ReplyDelete